Sunday 14 August 2011

Ightham Mote

History and culture needed .... lets hit the road! 

Today, Charlie's blog takes you to Ightham Mote ...... a medieval manor house in Kent dating back to 1320.

Well old!

The lovely National Trust leaflet invites you to;
Marvel at the most complete medieval moated manor house in England,
relax in the peaceful gardens,
savour home-cooked food in the Mote restaurant
and find a selection of quality gifts in the shop ..... I'm doing the lot!


As you would expect from the name .... Ightham is surrounded
by a beautiful moat!

"Wonder what happens if I give this wheel a little turn?"

"Sounds like someone is draining a bath!"

Moving swiftly on ....... Grade I listed dog kennel in
the medieval courtyard .....
the only one in England!

Hmm ...... cosy ...
could do with some curtains though!

No photos allowed in the house ........so I'll leave you to
admire the topiary whilst I pop in and have a 'butchers'!


House duly marvelled ...... time to savour the home-cooked
food in the mote restaurant!

The leaflet failed to mention the excellent bird
watching opportunities from the restaurant
al fresco eating area!


Suitably refreshed ..... time to peruse the children's
map and enjoy a walk around the estate!

Cow Parsley ...... love it ...... I've already got some of these
seeds, sent to me by my lovely friend Tracie,
 for my miniature meadow project at home!

Massive plant!

Handy for a short sit down!

View of the lakes!

Hmm ..... must admit was thinking of pushing my
driver in the lakes at this point ..... but then considered
that I probably wouldn't get a lift home!

Excellent gardens for wildlife!

Mushrooms planted by Fairies ....... magic!

Let's see what's in the discovery area .......

Oooo ...... birds nest ..... "Hello anyone home?"

Sadly not ..... all fledged!

Anyone for pooh sticks?

Stunning ornamental gardens!

Hmm ....... there's a couple of coins in there!

The enclosed garden with a magic hedge
that you can walk through ...... all very exciting ....
wonder what's behind the hedge!

Bingo!

A plank bridge for wildlife ..... what a nice thought!

Looks like this fella might need it later!

Suitably impressed by this place ........ think I'm gonna have
a whiz around the quality gift shop and then sign up
to join the National Trust, so that I can report back on
a few more historic places!

Even the car park is pretty!

Back home .... I've decided to stretch out and read my NT
handbook on the recycled wool rug bought from the shop.
Purchased some handy everlasting
shopping bags that were on sale too!

Here's a few mini pics of the house and gardens ....... enjoy .......... Love Charlie xx


 









No comments:

Post a Comment